The American manufacturing sector prides itself on the quality, reliability, safety, and novelty of its advanced manufactured goods. Tools that evaluate parts and processes without causing damage are a cornerstone for delivering these valuable attributes. Leading the way in developing and implementing more accurate, reliable, and effective nonddestructive evaluation (NDE) tools is critical to U.S. manufacturing competitiveness.
Emerging technologies and operational requirements are driving the need for the next generation of NDE. As composites emerge as ubiquitous structural and mechanical components in a range of manufactured goods, optimal evaluation requires leveraging new technologies. Likewise, as additive manufacturing takes an increasing role in manufacturing critical components, it becomes essential to overcome the unprecedented challenges of evaluating these complex geometries. For ceramics, improving the probability of detection is vital for finding defects on ever-shrinking length-scales. Improving the speed, accuracy, automation, and accessibility of NDE tools will enable these sectors while also benefiting the wide array of industries with established NDE tools and processes.
The challenges and emerging opportunities facing nondestructive evaluation cut across a spectrum of technologies and disciplines from materials science to electrical engineering to computer science. Coordination and strategic investments are needed to drive America’s scientific discoveries in next generation NDE towards technologies implemented in our factories and the creation of new economic opportunities. MForesight: Alliance for Manufacturing Foresight will convene and gather the insights of NDE and manufacturing experts from industry, academia, government, and federal labs to define and prioritize cross-cutting challenges and explore opportunities for coordinated action from public and private stakeholders. The goal is to create actionable recommendations for enhancing U.S. manufacturing competitiveness through NDE.
For more information, please reach out to us at email@example.com
Gary Georgeson, NDT Senior Technical Fellow, The Boeing Company
Gary Georgeson is the Boeing Senior Technical Fellow in Nondestructive Evaluation/Testing (NDE/NDT), where he has worked since 1988 in Seattle, Washington. He holds a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering/Materials Science from the University of California at Santa Barbara. In his current role, Gary provides the strategy and roadmaps for NDE of aerospace structures during both manufacturing and aircraft service. As Boeing’s most prolific inventor, he has developed or co-developed numerous NDE systems and methods (200+ patents), particularly related to composite structure validation. Gary is the co-inventor of the Boeing Blade Crawler and Boeing ROVER, which were developed for automated in-service inspection of aerospace structure. His innovations have supported various Boeing platforms, and helped Boeing win contract R&D programs from the USAF, USN, NASA, TTCI, and the FAA. Gary is often called upon by the U.S. government and industry for advisory roles regarding NDE. He is a regular keynote speaker at international conferences, having spoken about NDE in Spain, Singapore, Germany, Brazil, China and France, as well as the U.S.
Leonard Bond, Professor, Iowa State University
Waled Hassan, RR Associate Fellow: Materials – NDT/E, Rolls-Royce North America
Shana Telesz, Global Product Manager, Radiography Systems, Baker Hughes
Paul Zombo, Service, Materials, and Technology Manager, Siemens Energy
- Dr. Leonard Bond, Professor – Aerospace Engineering Department, Iowa State University
- Dr. Brandi Briggs, Mechanical Engineer – NAVAIR
- Mr. Bharat Chaudhry, Vice President – Thermal Wave Imaging, Inc.
- Mr. Elliott Cramer, Branch Head – Nondestructive Evaluation Sciences Branch NASA Langley Research Center
- Dr. Larry Culbertson, Director/COO – NDT Solutions LLC
- Mr. Gavin Dao, VP & Director of Business Development – Advanced OEM Solutions (AOS)/The Phased Array Company (TPAC)
- Dr. Yuris Dzenis, R. Vernon McBroom Professor of Engineering – Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Mr. David Forsyth, Principal Scientist – NDE Division, TRI Austin
- Dr. Gary Georgeson, NDE Senior Technical Fellow – The Boeing Company
- S.W. Bill Glass, Technical Advisor – Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Dr. Michael Groeber, Associate Professor – Integrated Systems Engineering, Ohio State University
- Dr. Joel Harley, Assistant Professor – University of Florida
- Dr. Waled Hassan, Associate Fellow – Materials – NDT/E, Rolls Royce
- Dr. Edward Herderick, Director of Additive Manufacturing – The Ohio State University
- Dr. Stephen Holland, Associate Director – Iowa State University Center for NDE
- Mr. Patrick Howard, NDE Consulting Engineer – GE Aviation
- Dr. Martin Koerdel, Head of Research Group – Component Manufacturing and Inspection Technologies – Siemens Corporate Technology
- Dr. Eric Lindgren, Nondestructive Evaluation Technology Lead – Materials State Awareness Branch, Structural Materials Division, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Air Force Material Command
- Mr. Rick Lopez, Staff Materials Engineer – Deere & Company – Technology Innovation Center (Ames)
- Dr. Harry Martz, Director – Nondestructive Characterization Institute, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Dr. Paul Panetta, Principal Scientist and Lab Director – Applied Research Associates, Inc.
- Prof. Piero Rizzo, Professor – Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Pittsburgh
- Dr. Francesco Simonetti, Professor – University of Cincinnati
- Mrs. Shana Telesz, Global Product Manager – Radiography Systems Baker Hughes, A GE Company – Inspection Technologies
- Dr. Joseph Turner, Robert W. Brightfelt Professor of Mechanical and Materials Engineering – University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Dr. Michael Uchic, Research Leader – Materials State Awareness Branch, Air Force Research Laboratory
- Dr. Gorm Yoder, Scientific Director – Analytical Development Small Molecule Pharmaceutical Development Janssen R&D
- Mr. Paul Zombo P.E., Manager – Technology and Innovation, Siemens Energy Inc.