Guidance provided by the America COMPETES Act of 2010
The following set of rules is in alignment with the requirements of the America Competes Act (15 U.S.C 3719(f)(2),(g)).
(1) To be eligible to win a prize under this competition, an individual or entity—
- Shall have registered to participate in the competition under the rules promulgated by MForesight as published in these Competition Rules;
- Shall have complied with all the requirements set forth in these Competition Rules;
- In the case of a private entity, shall be incorporated in and maintain a primary place of business in the United States, and in the case of an individual, whether participating singly or in a group, shall be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States;
- May not be a Federal entity;
- May not be a Federal employee acting within the scope of the employee’s employment and further, may not work on their submission(s) during assigned duty hours;
- May not be an employee of the MForesight, a judge of the challenge, or any other party involved with the design, production, execution, or distribution of the competition or the immediate family of such a party (i.e., spouse, parent, step-parent, child, or step-child).
(2) Federal grantees may not use Federal funds to develop their competition submissions unless use of such funds is consistent with the purpose of their grant award and specifically requested to do so due to the Challenge design, and as announced in the Federal Register.
(3) Federal contractors may not use Federal funds from a contract to develop their competition submissions or to fund efforts in support of their competition submission.
(4) Submissions must not infringe upon any copyright or any other rights of any third party.
(5) By participating in this competition, each individual (whether competing singly or in a group) and entity agrees to assume any and all risks and waive claims against the Federal government and its related entities (as defined in the COMPETES Act), except in the case of willful misconduct, for any injury, death, damage, or loss of property, revenue, or profits, whether direct, indirect, or consequential, arising from participation in this competition, whether the injury, death, damage, or loss arises through negligence or otherwise.
(6) Based on the subject matter of the competition, the type of work that it will possibly require, as well as an analysis of the likelihood of any claims for death, bodily injury, property damage, or loss potentially resulting from competition participation, no individual (whether competing singly or in a group) or entity participating in the Challenge is required to obtain liability insurance or demonstrate financial responsibility in order to participate in this competition.
(7) By participating in this competition, each individual (whether competing singly or in a group) and entity agrees to indemnify the Federal government MForesight, and the University of Michigan against third party claims for damages arising from or related to competition activities.
(8) An individual or entity shall not be deemed ineligible because the individual or entity used Federal facilities or consulted with Federal employees during the competition if the facilities and employees are made available to all individuals and entities participating in the competition on an equitable basis.
(9) By participating in this competition, each individual (whether participating singly or in a group) agrees to submit only non-confidential information. All participants agree to allow MForesight to post, link to, share, and publicly display information from the applicant’s abstract on the Web. Each participant will retain all intellectual property rights in their submissions.
(10) MForesight reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to (a) cancel, suspend, or modify the competition, and/or (b) not award any prizes if no entries are deemed worthy.
(11) Each individual (whether participating singly or in a group) or entity agrees to follow all applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and policies.
(12) Each individual (whether participating singly or in a group) and entity participating in this competition must comply with all terms and conditions of these rules, and participation in this Challenge constitutes each such participant’s full and unconditional agreement to abide by these rules. Winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements herein.