PrizesIn addition to prizes indicated below, the prize-winners and high scoring submissions will be invited to Washington, D.C. to present before high level federal agency representatives and industry leaders. MForesight reserves the right to not make any awards if none of the proposed approaches meet the stated objectives.
LOW-VOLUME MANUFACTURING HARDWARE
HARNESSING THE INFORMATION REVOLUTION FOR MANUFACTURING
DEMOCRATIZATION OF MANUFACTURING KNOWLEDGE
Each submission to the Challenge requires a complete “Submission Package” which includes:
- A non-confidential written document describing the innovative approach, including the current barriers that it overcomes, the innovation in its current state, and the feasibility of scaling for widespread adoption.
- A non-confidential demonstration (either a simulation or a video of a physical apparatus) is required to clearly show the benefits of the novel approach to the judges.
- A non-confidential abstract is required. MForesight will publicly share the abstract when promoting the results of the competition.
Submission Package Details
Each submission package must follow a specific format:
- Non-Confidential Written Document: It is critical that the written document clearly identifies the novelty and high impact of the solution. The written document is limited to three-to-five (3 – 5) single-sided pages. Include the following sections:
- Summary of the Innovation (1/2 page maximum)
- Narrative that describes the innovation in detail
- A description of the target audience for the innovation and the impact.
- A description of the innovation team or individual (1/2 page maximum)
2. Non-Confidential Video Demonstration: The Innovator must provide a link to a short video that demonstrates the novel approach or innovative solution. Judges will be looking for high-impact, creative and persuasive video evidence which demonstrates that the proposed approach has moved past the “paper phase” into a tangible state. The video must allow the judges to “experience the submission.” Videos must be posted on a freely accessible video-sharing website (YouTube, Vimeo, etc), and be in one of the commonly used video formats.
Examples of videos include: A demonstration of the innovation in operation (with narration), a series of sharable graphics (storyboards with narration), or a video where the innovator describes the innovation.
The maximum length of the video is five (5) minutes.
3. Abstract: A non-confidential abstract is required.
- Abstract must be suitable for posting on the Web.
- Include a descriptive graphic for the innovation or the team.
The abstract is limited to one (1) single sided page.
Each Submission Package must meet the following requirements:
- Written document, demonstration video and Abstract must not exceed the stated limits.
- Only one submission per topic per entity is allowed.
- The submission may not be primarily promotional (as opposed to a new innovation with novel functionality and features).
- Submission may not recommend an existing commercial solution, consulting, or training service.
- All submissions must be presented in English.
- Submission documents must be free from inappropriate language and/or unprofessional content. MForesight reserves the right to exclude any packages deemed inappropriate from the competition.
All submissions are FINAL and cannot be edited once submitted to MForesight.
If any of these criteria is not met, or the Submission fails to meet all of the Rules listed on the MForesight competition website, the Submission will be disqualified from consideration for an award. All disqualifications will be made at the sole discretion of MForesight– the Administrator of the competition.
 The video can be posted on any freely accessible video sharing website such as YouTube or Vimeo. It is the Innovator’s responsibility to provide the judges easy access to a video that clearly shows the functionality and benefits of the innovation in less than 5 minutes. Creative and informative videos are strongly encouraged.
 Written Document and Abstract to be submitted in pdf format only. Margins not less than 1 inch (all sides), type no smaller than 11 point font size regardless of whether it is single or double spaced, font type must be Times New Roman, Geneva, Helvetica, or Arial, font for tables/graphics/captions no smaller than 10 pt, no file protection or passwords.
This evaluation process is NOT confidential. Therefore, do NOT include any confidential information in your submitted materials, e.g. written document, videos/multimedia presentation, and abstract. To the extent submitted materials contain proprietary information, all such information should be patented, copyrighted, or trademarked information. Submitters should mark such information with an appropriate notice.
To be eligible to win a prize under this Challenge, an individual or entity:
- Shall have registered to participate in the competition under the rules promulgated by MForesight as published in the Competition Rules;
- Shall have complied with all the requirements set forth in the Competition Rules; Submitters may be individuals, for-profit or non-profit entities, or educational institutions. Submissions are welcome from any entity located in the US, ranging from individuals to large companies.
- In the case of a private entity, it shall be incorporated in and maintain a primary place of business in the United States
- In the case of an individual, whether participating singly or in a group, submitter shall be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States;
- May not be a Federal entity and may not be affiliated with NSF, NIST, or any other entity prohibited in the Rules;
- May not be a Federal employee acting within the scope of the employee’s employment and further, may not work on their submission(s) during assigned duty hours;
- May not be an employee of the MForesight, a judge of the competition, or any other party involved with the design, production, execution, or distribution of the competition or the immediate family of such a party.