The United States has the assets needed for success in manufacturing—from world-class universities and national laboratories to leading firms and entrepreneurs. Still, the success of the manufacturing sector depends on often-elusive ingredients: long-term thinking and coordination. To ensure that American scientific discoveries and engineering inventions result in the creation of new economic opportunity, it is essential to convene the country’s diverse stakeholders in manufacturing to generate and share coordinated input on America’s manufacturing research and development (R&D) priorities.
MForesight: Alliance for Manufacturing Foresight empowers America to think long-term on matters of technology and industry. We’re an independent, nonprofit, expert-driven organization focused on the future of technology, policy, and the workforce. We support policymakers, business leaders, and researchers with rapid response reports and crucial intelligence on manufacturing trends and opportunities. Our focus includes:
- Research and Development Priorities: We identify platform technologies, essential R&D areas, tools to enable manufacturing readiness, and opportunities for solutions-oriented public-private partnerships.
- Implementation Challenges: We find replicable, affordable, and scalable technology solutions for small and medium manufacturers, as well as best practices for technology adoption and workforce development.
- Technology Policy Issues: We analyze and educate on technology policy issues to strengthen U.S. competitiveness.
As the only national consortium convening experts to forecast and develop recommendations for advanced manufacturing technologies, MForesight’s value proposition lies in the creation of a cohesive and coordinated community that influences, supports, and strengthens each other toward advancing U.S. manufacturing competitiveness. MForesight’s long-term impact will arise from better-informed decision-making on emerging technologies leading to manufacturing of new advanced products in the United States, and ultimately, more high-value jobs, strengthened national security, and increased domestic wealth.
MForesight enables the U.S. manufacturing community with a framework to provide coordinated input on R&D and manufacturing related opportunities.The framework is built on four phases of engagement with public and private stakeholders — discover, prioritize, develop, and disseminate.
- Discover MForesight convenes key thinkers from business, government, and academia to probe the future and identify emerging technology opportunities and challenges facing industry. We organize high-level conferences, roadmapping exercises, interview projects, and online collaborations — leveraging extensive connections to researchers and practitioners.
- Prioritize MForesight evaluates and selects emerging technologies with unique promise for improving US manufacturing competitiveness and for providing significant return on further investment. Selected topics are designated as MForesight gamechangers.
- Develop MForesight develops actionable recommendations to accelerate technology innovation and adoption by identifying and convening experts from industry, academia, and government. MForesight reports capture the collective wisdom of the manufacturing community— clarifying the work that’s necessary to move nascent technologies to the mass market.
- Disseminate MForesight reports aim to provide public and private stakeholders with foresight to drive effective R&D investment, technology implementation, and policy solutions. We draw on diverse channels—briefings, blogs, web tools, conferences, trade events, and others — to engage the community with clear and concise content.
View more information on MForesight’s framework here.
Our objective is to provide long-term ideas and analyses to America’s diverse manufacturing community.
- Government Agencies: We help policymakers make sense of questions about the future of technology and manufacturing, providing custom-tailored research products that crystallize expert consensus and explain manufacturers’ needs.
- Researchers: We provide deep dive studies on technology and R&D topics to inform research and funding priorities, and to connect researchers across disciplines with industry and federal partners.
- Small and Medium Manufacturers : We identify and share leading-edge ideas on technology trends and implementation, as well as workforce development, while providing SMMs with a platform for sharing their needs and perspectives.
- Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs): We inform federal R&D programs about emerging technologies and challenges that matter to manufacturers, promote investment and policy actions needed, and support opportunities for public-private partnerships.
Upon recommendation by the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (“Report to the President: Accelerating U.S. Advanced Manufacturing” PDF) the National Science Foundation and National Institute for Standards and Technology issued an open solicitation in May 2015 to establish a national consortium to provide coordinated private‐sector input on national advanced manufacturing technology research and development priorities.
MForesight was established in October 2015 as the result of that solicitation.
Today, MForesight is an independent entity that’s part of the rich network of manufacturing programs inside and outside government. MForesight’s analysis of emerging trends, challenges, and opportunities, augments the work of not only university programs and industry associations but also federal initiatives like Manufacturing USA and the Manufacturing Extension Partnership program.