Manufacturing matters. It’s crucial for creating jobs, raising wages, improving medical care, solving environmental problems, maintaining defense readiness, and innovating for the future. That’s why people across the country and from all political persuasions believe in expanding U.S. manufacturing.
America has what it takes to succeed in manufacturing: from unrivaled universities to extraordinary natural resources to a proud history of building great products.
But winning back our manufacturing edge will require an all-too-rare ingredient: foresight. We need to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to innovation, investment, public policy, and training.
MForesight accelerates technological innovation and aligns R&D opportunities with national priorities to enhance U.S. manufacturing competitiveness.
MForesight is a think-and-do tank focusing on the next generation technologies that will strengthen U.S. manufacturing. MForesight provides crucial ideas and insights to business and government decision-makers on emerging technology trends and opportunities for public-private investments in advanced manufacturing. MForesight also seeks to promote technology innovation to bridge the gap between basic science and manufacturers.
MForesight connects researchers and practitioners and harnesses their collective wisdom in order to:
- forecast manufacturing needs, opportunities, and emerging technologies,
- provide industry, academia, and government with insights into R&D opportunities and challenges to strengthen America’s advanced manufacturing competitiveness, and
- identify challenges and best practices in technology deployment and workforce development.
Learn more by reading our blog post: Introducing MForesight
Who We Serve
From federal agencies and university scholars to local small businesses and summer camps for tech-focused students, our objective is to provide long-term ideas and analysis to America’s diverse manufacturing community.
What We Do
Through interactive public workshops, small expert gatherings, virtual roundtables, reports, published articles, conference presentations, and social media, we work to accomplish diverse undertakings, including:
- Convening thought leaders to identify and prioritize technologies worth developing and expanding;
- Commissioning top experts to prepare reports on emerging technologies for future investment;
- Identifying and sharing best practices in technology commercialization and workforce development;
- Communicating opportunities and challenges to business, government, and academic players in advanced manufacturing;
- Promoting career opportunities in engineering and advanced manufacturing; and
- Identifying and sharing best practices for technology forecasting in order to help the U.S. manufacturing community stay ahead of the curve.
Upon recommendation by the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (“Report to the President: Accelerating U.S. Advanced Manufacturing” PDF) the National Science Foundation and National Institute for Standards and Technology issued an open solicitation in May 2015 to establish a national consortium to provide coordinated private‐sector input on national advanced manufacturing technology research and development priorities.
MForesight was established in October 2015 as the result of that solicitation.
PCAST members and OSTP staff with the President and the Vice President.
Today, MForesight is an independent entity that’s part of the rich network of manufacturing programs inside and outside government. MForesight’s analysis of emerging trends, challenges, and opportunities, augments the work of not only university programs and industry associations but also federal initiatives like the National Network for Manufacturing Innovation and the Manufacturing Extension Partnership program.